Divas of Desire

Meet The Divas

Meet The Divas & Their Books

Thursday, September 5, 2013

#50Shades Casting - Opinions Abound

Hey Folks,

Welcome back to the Divas of Desire!

Tonight I'd like to chat about the recent casting of the Fifty Shades of Grey movie. There's been a lot of talk about the casting, about making the book into a movie in the first place. So here's one Erotic Romance Author's opinion on the subject:

Charlie Hunnam wasn't even on my list of people who could possibly play Christian Grey. For me it was all about Richard Madden - the charismatic, and gorgeous, actor on Game of Thrones. 
I mean just look at that penetrating gaze! 

Now say what you will about Fifty Shades, the characters, the book, the author... it was a wildly successful best-seller that opened the eyes and bedrooms of many readers who'd never heard of erotic romance before. 



But alas, it wasn't in the cards. Now there's a real reason that I wouldn't have thought of the Sons of Anarchy star as the right person for the job, and it's not because he's not a terrific actor. He's amazingly gorgeous and I love him as Jax Teller on the amazing SoA, but he plays such a gorgeous scruffy anti-hero on the show that I first had trouble picturing him as the suave billionaire persona, because this is how he embodies his Jax Teller persona.
 BUT this is what he looks like as well. 

Cut the hair a little, shave the beard, and DAMN! This could totally be Christian in the red room wearing his beat-up jeans. 


Now onto Dakota Johnson, whom I'd never heard of before a day or two ago. She's a virtual unknown. Cute, kind of perky looking, and I'm not sure what to think about her actually. I hadn't put much thought into who I would cast in the Anastasia Steele role, so I didn't really have a pre-formed opinion of who would be good in the role. 

So I suppose for now, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm liking Charlie more and more as I think about it.

From an author's standpoint, I can definitely say there have been moments when I'm writing where I know who I would cast in the film version, and I wonder if EL James thought the same thing and if she was surprised or disappointed in the choices. I for one have confidence that Charlie will rock the roll, because he's an incredible actor.

Readers, what do you think? Excited about the casting? Disappointed? Indifferent??

Share your thoughts.

~ Rach



No comments:

Post a Comment

TRR

The Romance Reviews