Divas of Desire

Meet The Divas

Meet The Divas & Their Books

Monday, June 18, 2012

A fellow CNYRW member asked me when I find the time to write. First, I don't "find" the time, I make the time. Writing is serious business for me, not something I do to keep from being bored to sobs.

In the winter, it's easier. I go through e-mail in the a.m., take care of scheduling chores (I'm the Scheduling Chairperson for our national lure coursing organization). No mowing, no dog events. This season, I plan to do better: blogs, Facebook, plus my scheduling stuff, plus hours of mowing the fields.

I take a notebook or the Dana word processor on the fields with me. I stop the tractor, and write whenever I have flashes of brilliance (it's amazing how often those flashes occur when one is on the Kubota, doing mindless mowing). I do the same thing with the ATV -- I'll grab one of the quads and a notebook, and head up to the upper field. I love to write while hawks are cruising the thermals overhead.

During mowing season, I write in the morning until the sun burns off most of the dew on the fields (cuts cleaner), then I write at night, often into the wee hours (that's another time that I tend to be scathingly brilliant).

The dogs remind me when they need to go out--I tend to get involved, then hours go by without any sense of awareness..

Now, with the laptop, if we travel to field trials with our own dogs, I make notes when I'm sitting in the van, and write in the motel rooms at night.

If you notice, housework is not mentioned here.

So, dear readers, when are you at your most brilliant?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Danica! I think I'm at my best in the mornings. I agree that housework comes at the bottom of the list when one is trying to be brilliant. I can certainly see how being on the field can stir the creative juices. Being surrounded by nature is very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Early mornings, definitely. Yesterday, I was up at 4:30 a.m. because I had a thought running through my brain about a character in my WIP. I was so intent on what I was doing, hours passed before I realized how involved I'd been. Plus, the dogs were complaining because they hadn't gotten their morning cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great, Danica. I can't get up early to write. I'm a night owl. 4:30 is a bedtime, not a wake up one! :-)

    ReplyDelete

TRR

The Romance Reviews